Friday, January 10, 2014

Taught and Humbled by My Children

Jack and I decided to take a few days and go home in March for the wedding of our first grandchild, Alexis.  When we asked President Holm for permission Wednesday night, he readily gave it.  "But," he said, "Let me tell you what you're going to be missing."  Another apostle is coming to our mission on March 8th.  We don't know who, yet.  We told President that we could probably come back in time to hear him speak.

As I checked airfares last night, I found that if we left on Tuesday, March 4th, and returned on Monday, March 10th, the fare out of Columbia would be only $392 round trip.  If we left on Tuesday and returned Friday, it would be $539!  That's quite a bit of money.  So I was thinking that it would be cool to stay the extra few days and save some money as well.  We'd be giving up listening to an Apostle, but it would be okay.  I asked Jack what he thought, and he said he'd rather come back on Friday, even though it would be more expensive.  I was leaning toward coming back on Monday, but knew it wouldn't kill me if we came back early.  I decided to email the kids and get their thoughts on the matter.  I was thinking that they'd all say they're like us to stay a little longer.  Ha!  Not!

These are four of the replies we got, before I finally texted them and told them to stop!

"Come home for the wedding and get back to your mission.  You're coming home for a purpose, not a party."

"I think you're old enough, but not too old, to make your own decision."  :o)

"It would be nice to have you here longer, but it isn't every day you get to be taught by an apostle.  I would say you are pretty lucky to come back for the wedding and you, your family, and the missionaries you serve will be blessed if you return to where you are called to be."

"If I'm trying to make a hard choice, I try envisioning making each one and how I would feel.  Sounds simple, but it works.  If you missed the apostle to save money, would you be okay with that?  If you heard the apostle by paying more would you feel satisfied that it was worth it?"

Our minds are now made up.  Our tickets are now purchased.  We will be flying back to Utah on the 4th and returning on the 7th, and it will be worth it.

I am so grateful for our children - everyone of them - and for our children who have married into my family. I love them all!!!  How could we possibly be more blessed???

1 comment:

  1. I love it! No wonder the "Stop it!" text. Love you guys and your example!

    ReplyDelete