Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Farmers' Market

I don't know when the Farmers' Market begins each year, but I hear it goes on into December!  The Mihlbergers invited us to go over with them Saturday morning so we could check it out.  It was a lot of fun!  With a Farmers' Market, I expected a lot of produce.  There was some...but not a ton.  A lot of it was organic, and very expensive, but we did get some nice green peppers, 3/$1 and a bag of apples for $5.  For the first time in my life, I saw how Brussels sprouts grow...on a stalk!  I had no idea!  I had never THOUGHT about it before!

We also stopped at a little stand that had a lot of Peruvian baked goods.  I first spotted alfajores, which are also from Argentina.  Very tasty little cookies made of two rounds of short-bread with dulce de leche between.  Another bakery had some blueberry scones that were to die for!  Jack bought a couple and we ate them for lunch, when we got home, with a glass of cold milk.  Mmmm

Something else I had never seen nor tasted was boiled peanuts!  Sister Mihlberger told us that she had tasted them and didn't like them at all.  Luckily, the vendor gave us each a sample...and I thought they were yummy!  We ended up buying a cup of them.

The picture with the big fire hydrant (Clifford's fire hydrant) was taken a few blocks away from the market.  The shot that appears to be taken just outside a tunnel, was really taken in a parking lot.  It's a mural on the side of a building.  Pretty cool, huh?

Just about to leave with all our loot from the market.

.


Who knew Brussels sprouts
grew like this?

ption

No comments:

Post a Comment