Thursday, June 26, 2014

Greenies in the House!

We had three cute new Elders stay with us on Monday and Tuesday nights.  We only had 10 missionaries come in this transfer - 7 Elders and 3 Sisters.  E. Peterson, E. Jeffs and E. Roberts were with us.  The other four stayed with the APs and Larsens took the 3 Sisters.

They fly in around 3:30 in the afternoon.  They've been up since 2:30 AM, so they've always got that deer in the headlights look when we first get them.  :o)  The Elders went right to sleep, but only slept aobut 15 minutes, until Elder Peterson woke the other two up with his snoring.  They did doze off later, and slept about 30 minutes before we had to take them to the church for dinner and training.

The new missionaries train Monday night and all day Tuesday.  Tuesday night at Prime Time (6-9) they go out with trainers and knock doors.  When they come back, we always ask them about their first experience in the field.  Most of the people they knocked into Tuesday night at least let them in the house.  It was raining.  One woman, a Jehovah's Witness, was very nice and gave them each a drink of water.  They asked her if she would like a copy of the Book of Mormon.  She declined.  They asked if she would pray and ask God if He wanted her to read the Book of Mormon.  She refused to do that also.  Hearing the new Elders tell about that experience made me wonder what I would do if I were not a member.  I may have declined the Book of Mormon (although I have taken the J. W.'s Watch Towers), but if they asked me to pray and ask God if He wanted me to read a book, I'd probably do it.  I'm a big believer in prayer!  And I think I'm pretty open to doing what God wants me to do.  I don't think He would give me bad advice.

All in all, the newbies were pretty pumped.  It was fun to see them meet their new trainers and depart for their new areas in the mission.  Hope they retain their enthusiasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment