Sunday, December 14, 2014

Prayer at a school choir concert raises questions.

The Chapin High School Choir Concert is held at the Chapin Presbyterian Church.  The Pastor welcomed everyone and then offered a prayer.  It was a gracious and heart-felt prayer, I thought.  One thing I did not understand was how he prayed.

1- He prayed to Jesus

2 He closed the prayer in Jesus' name

I've always been taught that we pray to God, the Eternal Father and pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus is our mediator - our advocate with The Father.  That makes sense to me.

Clearly, most Christian religions teach that God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are one being - the Trinity.  I wonder how many Christians really, actually believe in the Trinity?  It makes no sense at all to me.  At the baptism of Jesus, God the Father speaks from heaven and the Holy Ghost descends in the form of a dove.  All three members of the Godhead are present at that time.

Jesus prayed to His Father many times.  He begged His Father that the cup be taken from Him in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Jesus din't pray to himself.  What?

I had Catholic neighbors when I was growing up.  I asked one of the daughters about their Sacrament or Communion.  I asked about the wine actually turning into Christ's blood and the wafer turning into His flesh.  She said, "They tell us that, but I don't believe it."

I wonder how many Christian really believe that God and Jesus are one in the same being.  Really, I can't comprehend such a thing.  That is all.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment