Saturday, January 10, 2015

He is somebody's son...

This post doesn't really belong in my mission blog, but I've got something I want to say.  A couple of days ago a convicted sex offender was arrested and sent back to jail for lurking around the parking lot of our elementary school back home.  This is a good thing.  He was clearly in violation of his parole.  I hate what he has done!  I hate the darkness in people's minds that drives them to crimes against children, or anyone else for that matter.

I hate what this man has done and totally agree that he should be off the streets, but as I read  a few of the comments about his arrest I felt sad.  This man is somebody's son.  He is somebody's brother.  He could be somebody's husband or even somebody's father.  Surely what he has done has hurt all of those who love him.  He needs to be stopped and should be rehabilitated if that is possible.  He should probably be kept away from children for the rest of his life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this... Can we hate the sin, but still love the sinner?  Could we think of the pain he has already caused those who love him or who raised him or grew up with him?  I know how horrible I have felt in the past when one of my own children has done something to hurt someone else, even something as simple as a high-school-breakup.  Parents feel the pain every time their children fall, at least I do.

A short while ago, a young man was arrested for sexual abuse of a minor, dealing harmful materials to a minor, sexual exploitation of a minor, obstruction of justice and seducing or luring a minor through text or Internet.   This young man had attended school with some of my grandchildren.  They were friends with him and with his sister.  My daughter's family knows his family well.  Although not closely related, we share the same last name.  When this arrest happened, I thought, "How does his mother feel?  How is his family going to deal with this heartache?"  

What happens in people's minds to cause this behavior?  How can we fix it?  How can we prevent it?  I wish I knew!  I will pray that's these people get the help they need to turn their lives around.  I will pray that I will not do anything to rub salt in the wounds of those who love them.  These people have done bad things, but they are all somebody's sons or daughters.


No comments:

Post a Comment